« Back

An Overview of Anaphylactic Shock

September 20, 2021 3:19 pm

Category:

What is Anaphylactic Shock? Anaphylactic shock is a serious allergic reaction that may occur as the consequence of an injection, medicine, food allergy or insect sting. This allergic reaction is brought about by the fact that your body sends out chemicals known as histamine to signal your blood vessels to stop clotting. The histamine causes your air sacs to dilate and this in turn allows more blood to reach the tissues in your body. However, when too much histamine is sent to your blood vessels, it causes the blood vessels to narrow, which causes the blood flow to slow down. As a result, you develop severe allergic reaction symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and shortness of breath.

Image credit

Although you can certainly take medication to control the symptoms of anaphylactic shock, it is highly recommended that you should seek medical assistance because further damage may occur if you do not respond to medication immediately. If you are suffering from this allergic reaction, it is highly recommended that you should not take any kind of medications unless prescribed by a doctor. In such cases, the doctors may suggest you use antihistamines or steroids, which are prescribed to reduce the swelling in your body and help you breathing but they should be taken only under medical supervision. Learn how to help with allergies with First aid at work Tewkesbury from Tidal Training Direct, a provider of First aid at work Tewkesbury.

Image credit

Anaphylactic shock can be fatal if not treated properly. Immediate medical attention is absolutely necessary to avoid further complications. If you start treatment on time, you can at least control the wheezing, breathing problems, swelling of the throat and eye irritation for better health.

« Back